The tree pictured is commonly known as an African Tulip. This tree may look nice and innocent producing a nice red flower almost all year round, however, these flowers are our Native Bees enemy as they carry a toxin that kills the bees almost instantly. The African Tulip is a weed species so can be removed without Council approval which makes the process easy. The picture of the flower shows how quickly the toxin works on our bees as it shows the bees don’t have a chance, dying within the flower within seconds of entering to extract the flowers pollen. If this tree is located on your property, it is strongly advised to have it removed as soon as possible.
Bees are an important part of our ecosystem and should be kept safe from these trees helping to ensure their survival.
Should you require any help in identifying this tree, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Comments are closed.